To take part in Bench Sumo, you should do two things:
a) If you are not already a member of the Bench Sumo Mailing List,
please send an email to:
If you have problems joining the Bench Sumo Mailing List, please send Jejima a private email (firstname.lastname@example.org), and he will
add you to the list.
b) Go to, and enter at the Bench Sumo Entry Page by clicking HERE.
Bench rikishi have until 2 pm (Japan time) of the Friday before any
Basho to send in their entries.
The deadline is Friday 05:00 GMT, Friday 00:00 in New York and Thursday
21:00 in California.
Any player may 'fine tune' their entries (for example to take into
account the withdrawal of a kyujo rikishi) until 2 pm (Japan time) on
the first Sunday of the Basho.
No late entries (for any reason) will be
accepted after the deadline has passed.
(Please check rules on
kyujo/retirement of Bench rikishi)
If you have not played Bench Sumo before, click on "I want to join
Bench Sumo" in order to tell us something about yourself.
At the Bench Sumo Player Information page, you will be asked to choose the following:
- Your shikona:- This is the 'fighting name' by which you will be known
in Bench Sumo. It is common (but not necessary) to choose a 'Japanese'
sounding name for this.
- Your Home Prefecture. This is where you originate from (ie Leeds,
- Your Heya name. This is where you are living now (ie Hiroshima,
- Your Sumo style. Description of how you approach a sumo bout.
- Kesho-mawashi. Description of the colourful "apron" that you wear during the
dohyo-iri entrance ceremony .
- Your mawashi colour. Your mawashi gives us an idea of your
personality on the dohyo.
- Your password. A 3-14 character password to be used to enter
the Bench Sumo site.
New players are added to the bottom of the banzuke (rankings) in order
of the time of their Bench Sumo Player Information entry, so the
sooner you enter, the higher you will be ranked amongst the new
Once you have registered as a player for Bench Sumo, you can click on "Basho
Entry Form" to choose your Bench Sumo squad.
- If you know you are going to be absent for a basho, please either
click on the "I'll be absent this basho" button on the Basho Entry
Form or the "I'll be absent next basho" from the menu page. See Kyujo
and Retirement Rules for what happens when you miss a basho.
- Your squad for the Bench Basho. This will comprise of the following
Makunouchi Division rikishi:- One Yokozuna, one Ozeki, one Sekiwake,
one Komusubi and 6 Maegashira rikishi. In the case that one or more of
the sanyaku ranks (i.e. Yokozuna, Ozeki, Sekiwake or Komusubi) have no
active rikishi taking part in a particular basho, you will be allowed
to select an extra maegashira ranked rikishi to fill out your squad.
Be sure to check after the Day 1 torikumi is announced on the Saturday
before the basho to see if any of your rikishi have withdrawn due to
injury so that you can replace them in time.
- Pre-basho comment. Let us know what your expectations and plans are
for the coming basho!